We know this, but do we really KNOW it??? And do we allow ourselves to really learn forgiveness as a skill?
Forgiveness is a complex and multifaceted process that can be difficult to navigate, but it is essential for healing and moving forward in our personal and relational lives.
Dr. Shawne Duperon is a forgiveness expert who has dedicated her life to helping people understand and practice forgiveness in meaningful ways.
Here are some of her insights on the topic:
1. Forgiveness is not about forgetting or condoning hurtful behavior. It is about releasing the hold that the hurt has on us and freeing ourselves from the negative emotions that can keep us stuck in pain.
2. Forgiveness is a choice, but it is not always an easy one. It requires us to confront our own pain and vulnerability and to be willing to let go of the desire for revenge or retribution.
3. Forgiveness is a process that takes time and effort. It may involve working through difficult emotions, seeking support from others, and practicing self-care.
4. Forgiveness does not necessarily mean reconciliation or restoration of a relationship. It is possible to forgive someone while still maintaining healthy boundaries or choosing to end a relationship.
5. Forgiveness is a gift that we give to ourselves. It allows us to move forward with greater peace, joy, and resilience, even in the face of difficult circumstances.
Forgiveness is a powerful tool for personal growth and healing. By understanding the complexities of the forgiveness process we can LEARN to let go of the past and embrace a more positive and fulfilling future.
Thanks for reading!
Apologizing: Facing Vulnerability
Modeling Forgiveness and Compassion For Our Children